Research from the Content Marketing Institute and MarketingProfs shows that the most successful B2B and B2C content marketers typically have something in common: They’re organized. A majority of the most effective marketers have a documented content strategy and a person in place to take charge of it.
A content calendar can be an effective method for getting your campaign organized and setting it on the path to success.
Q: Why should I use a content calendar?
A: Creating a content calendar can help you:
- Find motivation—Having a plan in place can give you the nudge you need to start working on your custom content.
- Step back—A calendar can help you keep track of multiple marketing channels and see opportunities for integrating content across platforms.
- Maintain balance—A content plan can offer a big-picture look at your overall campaign. Refer to it to make sure you’re catering to every stage in your sales cycle.
Q: What information should my content calendar include?
A: Content plans differ from organization to organization, but consider including these details:
- Topics: Briefly summarize each piece of content, including details such as its word count and what format it will take (blog post, white paper, podcast, etc).
- Process: Create a calendar that manages workflow and assigns individuals to specific roles in content creation.
- Audience: Also identify whom your content is for. This holds writers, editors, and designers accountable for creating content that meets your audience’s needs.
- Schedule: Keep your content moving by attaching deadlines to every task, from topic brainstorms to final publishing dates.
- Frequency: Determine how often and what times to distribute content. Review insight data or survey readers to discover when their engagement peaks on various platforms.
Q: How often should I revise my content calendar?
A: You can plan your content a month to even a year in advance. Just remember to be flexible. You may need to revise your tactics or change a topic at the last minute to keep content timely and relevant.