Getting people to subscribe to your emails is important, but keeping those subscribers is even more important. And, while you may already have a list of subscribers for your newsletters and emails, is it the content they want? As a marketer, it’s important to provide content that will keep them engaged and coming back for more.
To get you started, we’ve listed 5 ways that can help you gain and keep subscribers:
- Be interesting. People are subscribing to your email because they already like your content and what you have to offer. To stand out from the rest of your competitors, you need to keep your content interesting and offer something that other companies don’t. This can be done through promotions, visuals, or the name of your newsletter, or by including a personal touch each time.
- Keep it simple. This goes for subject lines as well as your content. To get to your content, your readers have to click on the email first. Create short and snappy subject lines to grab their attention and pull them in. Provide a clear indication of what the content is going to be about and that isn’t “click bait.” Once your readers open your email, they don’t want to have to read lengthy sentences or paragraphs. Provide just enough content for your readers to understand your point, and then link to a place where they can learn more.
- Offer something. Let’s be honest: We’ve all signed up for something at least once in our lives in order to receive something free. Offering something to those who subscribe to your email is a great way to connect with them. It also shows you value their subscription to your email.
- Provide what you promote. If you tell your future and current subscribers that you will send out an email twice a month, then you better send out that email twice a month. Some people sign up for emails based on how often they will be sent something, so don’t let them down. If you promise new subscribers that they will receive an offer or free download for signing up, you must follow through and send them exactly that. If you start sending stuff that they weren’t expecting, they may think your content is spam and unsubscribe.
- Include CTAs. This is important for gaining new subscribers, as well as keeping your current ones. People like simplicity, so telling them what to do next through a CTA will help benefit customer relationships, as well as your marketing program. These CTAs can begin on your website to encourage people to subscribe to your email. Once signed up, make sure to include them in your email to grab their attention from the moment they opt in.
Email marketing can be tricky, but with these five steps you should be on your way to gaining and keeping subscribers in no time!
If you enjoyed this post, you may want to check out these articles as well:
5 Tips for Improving Your Email Marketing Campaign
Why Email Marketing
3 Steps to Improve Your Email Marketing Strategy
Lauren Manecke, Branded Content & Social Media Strategist
As the team’s social media strategist, Lauren manages, creates, and publishes content for a variety of clients in order to achieve their marketing goals. When Lauren isn’t scrolling through social media, you can find her at home binge watching documentaries on Netflix.